First of all, you already are your own hypnotist. You read that correctly. Without even knowing it, or being aware of it, you have been your own hypnotist for your whole entire life. That is a fact.
How can I be so sure? I am a professional hypnotist for a living. I work with the power of the mind and I understand the effect our language has on us. Every thought you have has a direct effect on your body. Every word you use is a command to your mind and body.
Quite simply, ninety-five percent of your mind is your subconscious mind (your memories are stored here, as well as your habits, morals and beliefs). Your subconscious mind does not know right or wrong. The other five percent of your mind is your conscious mind (where you do your analyzing, judging, rationalizing).
You control your conscious mind (five percent of your mind), but you were not taught how to control your subconscious mind (the ninety-five percent of your mind.) Which part of your mind do you think runs your body? Which part of your mind controls your life?
The answer to both of those questions is your subconscious mind.
The main role of your subconscious mind is to be a pleasing servant to your commands, which brings me back to how you are your own hypnotist. Every time you think of something over a long period of time, you change your physical body. Every time you think of something with a strong emotion, you change your physical body.
Don’t believe me? Take a moment to close your eyes and imagine sucking on a tangy, sour, juicy lemon. Did your mouth water? Did your cheeks pucker? You created those physical results through the power of your thoughts.
Now here is how you will change your life by owning up to the fact, that whether or not you like it, you are your own hypnotist.
- Control your mind! You may not have control over each and every thought that pops into your head, but you have the choice of which thought you dwell upon. When a negative thought enters your head, immediately replace it with a positive happy thought. A powerful thought is 1000 times stronger than a negative one.
- Watch your wording. We use terrible phrases, not realizing the power our words have on our bodies. How often do you use phrases like:
“He is a pain in my neck”
“I’m dying to try this”
“This job is killing me”
“She makes me sick to my stomach”
Remember, your words are commands to your subconscious mind! Your subconscious mind doesn’t do any thinking, it only replies, “yes, master.” By using words like that, you are creating your own reality. Every word you say to yourself is a suggestion. Trust me; I give suggestions for a living. Your self-talk is pure suggestions– so make them positive!
- Focus on what you want, instead of what you don’t want. For example, instead of focusing on your bills, or that fact that you’re broke, switch your attention to the money coming into your bank account or your hands. Instead of trying to avoid things that make you sad or depressed, become aware of things that make you happy and excited. See your results and opportunities instead of your problems and worries.
- Surround yourself with successful examples. You become like those you spend the most time with because your mind subtly picks up on your surroundings, which has an effect on you and your life. Study those who are succeeding at your goals. Read inspirational books. Listen to positive audio-books. Use affirmations. Start a mastermind group and meet up with other motivational people. Be aware of your environment: it will have some sort of influence on you (in other words, it subliminally affects you), so create a positive space.
- Accept responsibility for your life. Your current situation is being controlled by you. You decide what to think, what to say, what to do. Even if you allow someone else to make decisions for you, that is your choice. In order to change any area of your life, you first need to take responsibility for it.
Accept that you already are your own hypnotist. It is a big job hypnotizing yourself, and you can do it- after all, you’ve been doing it this whole time! Take things one day at a time, understanding that incredible change can take some time. You have control over the present moment and in this exact moment you can start to give yourself some uplifting and powerful suggestions.